Jordan William THOMPSON
Police investigating the suspicious death of a toddler in the state’s Hunter region 10 years ago have welcomed a NSW Government reward of $100,000 for information relating to the incident.
Jordan William Thompson was 21 months old when his mum, Bernice Swales, went to run some errands, leaving him in the care of her then partner during the afternoon of Thursday 19 March 2005.
When she returned home, Jordan was in the lounge room unresponsive. She rushed him across the road to Singleton Base Hospital but he could not be revived.
Police were told the little boy had been found face down in the bath tub; however, a post mortem later found a lethal dose of a prescription medication used to treat depression in his system.
A Coronial Inquest into Jordan’s death commenced in 2008, and is set to resume in December this year.
No person has ever been convicted over Jordan’s death but police continue to treat the incident as suspicious.
Investigators are now hopeful that the $100,000 reward on offer from the NSW Government will encourage someone to come forward with information that leads to an arrest and conviction.
Deputy Premier and Minister for Police Troy Grant said Jordan’s family has been suffering for 10 years and deserve closure.
“It’s now been just over a decade since Jordan died, and yet his mother and family still don’t know have any answers about his death,” Mr Grant said.
“Detectives have never wavered in their pursuit for answers and are doing everything they can to solve the case, so the family can get the closure they need.
“We are hopeful this $100,000 reward offer will help them find out who is responsible for Jordan’s death,” Mr Grant said.
The Homicide Squad has carriage of the investigation, and Commander, Detective Superintendent Mick Willing, welcomed the reward.
“There is someone out there who knows who is responsible for Jordan’s death and we’re hoping this reward may prompt them to get in touch with police,” Det Supt Willing said.
“By all accounts, Jordan was a vivacious and loving child, and his family have been robbed of the opportunity to see him grow into a man.
“Investigators are committed to getting to the bottom of this case and bringing those responsible for an innocent child’s death to justice, but we can’t do it without assistance from the public.
“I hope this $100,000 reward is the incentive needed for someone who has information to come forward.
“If you have any information that may help us, please do the right thing and call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000,” Det Supt Willing said.
Jordan’s mum, Bernice, has joined police in appealing to the community for someone to come forward.
“This reward announcement means so much to our family. We have struggled every single day since we lost Jordan, and we hope this will give police the answers we all need,” Bernice said.
The reward of up to $100,000 is available for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for Jordan’s death.
If you have any information that may assist police please report online atwww.nsw.crimestoppers.com.au or call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 (24/7). You can remain anonymous.