Monday, 9 December 2013

Timeline John F Kennedy 22 November 1963

Timetable for 22 November 1963

Fort Worth, Texas
Warren Commission Report - Page 42 - 4th paragraph:
On the morning of November 22, President Kennedy attended a breakfast at the hotel and afterward addressed a crowd at an open parking lot.  The President liked outdoor appearances because more people could see and hear him.  Before leaving the hotel, the President, Mrs. Kennedy, and Kenneth O’Donnell talked about the risks inherent in Presidential public appearances.  According to O’Donnell, the President commented that “if anybody really wanted to shoot the President of the United States, it was not a very difficult job–all one had to do was get a high building someday with a telescopic rifle, and there was nothing anybody could do to defend against such an attempt.” Upon concluding the conversation, the President prepared to depart for Dallas.
8:45 a.m.
President Kennedy appears before a large crowd of two thousand on-lookers gathered in the Hotel Texas parking lot.  Governor Connally of Texas is there and Lyndon Johnson (LBJ) briefly introduces the President as “our fearless leader”.  Kennedy gives a planned and uninspired speech of 6 minutes and then works the crowd before returning into the Hotel Texas.  A light rain is falling.
9:00 a.m.
President Kennedy speaks at a large breakfast gathering in the hotel grand ballroom of the Texas Hotel in Fort Worth, Texas on Friday November 22, 1963.  The breakfast event that began at 8:00 a.m. is sponsored by the Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce.
9:22 a.m.
The President beckons Agent Duncan to the head table and asks him to  ask Mrs. Kennedy to come down to the ballroom and to ask the orchestra to play “The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You” when she enters.  Agent Clint Hill advises Mrs. Kennedy that JFK expects her downstairs in the Ballroom.
9:25 a.m.
Jackie Kennedy appears at the breakfast wearing a pink suit and pill box hat.  She is warmly received.  The orchestra plays “The Eyes of Texas are upon you”.
9:55 a.m.
At the Texas Hotel in Fort Worth, JFK and Jackie have returned to Suite 850.  JFK informs Kenny O’Donnell that the Presidential party will leave at 10:40 a.m.  Jackie asks, “We have a whole hour?”  JFK asks her if she is enjoying the trip. “Oh, Jack,” she replies “campaigning is so easy when you’re President.”
After President Kennedy and Jacqueline Kennedy return to their suite shortly after 10 a.m. President Kennedy telephones former Vice President John Nance Garner at his home in Ulvade, Texas, to wish him a happy 95th birthday.  The Kennedys spent time looking at the art exhibit that had been mounted in their suite especially for their visit including a Van Gogh, a Monet, and a Picasso.
Aides point out an advertisement in the day’s Dallas Morning News accusing the President of disloyalty to the country through “softness on communism”.  At this point  Kennedy muses out loud about how easy it would be to assassinate a traveling President (See: William Manchester “Death of a President” (1967, p. 121).  Before the Kennedys depart for the motorcade, the President reiterates (on the telephone) to aide Lawrence F. O’Brien the importance of getting Senator Yarborough to ride in the same car with Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson, the V.P. that had been introduced at 8:45 a.m. (two hours before) as, “the greatest Texan that ever lived.”
10:02 a.m.
John F. Kennedy confers with Governor John Connally.
10:40 a.m.
The Kennedys and Governor Connally enter a white convertible waiting in front of theTexas Hotel, a car borrowed by the Secret Service from professional golfer Ben Hogan.  There are waves and cheers from the onlookers.  The motorcade leaves for Carswell Air Force Base.
11:17 a.m.
Kennedy departs from Carswell AFB onboard Air Force One to fly to Love Field (DFW) in Dallas, Texas.  The air distance is about 35 miles.  The flight takes 13 minutes
about none (9) minutes.
Dallas, Texas
11:39 a.m.
Air Force One arrives (touches down) at Love Field (DFW) in Dallas, Texas.
11:40 a.m.
Warren Commission Report - Page 1 - 2nd paragraph:
At 11:40 a.m.., c.s.t., on Friday, November 22, 1963, President John F. Kennedy, Mrs. Kennedy, and their party arrived at Love Field, Dallas, Tex.
The eight cars comprising the motorcade are lined up and waiting on the tarmac at Love Field.
Dallas Deputy Police Chief (of Services) George L. Lumpkin is the driver of the pilot car.  In the pilot car is Jacob L. “Jack” Puterbaugh and Lieutenant Colonel George Whitmeyer.  The pilot car is the first car in the motorcade, usually traveling about 1/4 mile (1,300 feet) (1.5 minutes at 10 mph) ahead of the main motorcade.  TheWarren Commission fails to interview any of those in the pilot car.
The lead car is an unmarked four-door white 1963 Ford Galaxie 500 (police interceptor) driven by Dallas Police Chief Jesse Curry.  The Presidential limousine, a 1961 Lincoln Continental convertible is the second vehicle.  The third car is the Presidential follow-up car, Secret Service car #1, a 1956 Cadillac limousine convertible carrying ten (10) aides and agents (including those on the running boards) code-named the Queen Mary.  The Vice Presidential limousine, a 1964 Lincoln Continental convertible,  is the fourth vehicle.  Vice Presidential follow-up car   Press pool car, (on loan from the telephone company)  Press Car:
The motorcade was originally scheduled to leave Love Field at 11:30 a.m.  It was anticipated that it would take between 38 and 45 minutes to reach the Dallas World Trade Mart, arriving at the Trade Mart about 12:15 at the latest.  This itinerary would put the leading cars of the motorcade at Dealey Plaza somewhere between 12:03 and 12:10, or at Dealey Plaza for a “High Noon” rendezvous.
11:50 a.m.
The presidential motorcade leaves Love Field.
The motorcade left Love Field shortly after 11:50 a.m., and proceeded through residential neighborhoods, stopping twice at the President’s request to greet well-wishers among the friendly crowds. Each time the President’s car halted, Secret Service agents from the “follow-up” car moved forward to assume a protective stance near the President and Mrs. Kennedy.
The 11 mile route of the Kennedy motorcade through Dallas was: left turn from the south end of Love Field to West Mockingbird Lane, right on Lemmon Avenue, right at the “Y” on Turtle Creek Boulevard, straight on Cedar Springs Road, left on NorthHarwood Street, right on Main Street, right on Houston Street, sharp left on Elm Street, through Triple Underpass, right turn up ramp to North Stemmons Freeway, to Dallas Trade Mart at 2100 North Stemmons.
11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
The motorcade follows a route through Dallas, during which the president stops the car several times to talk to citizens who approach his limousine.
12:28 p.m.
Dallas police radio channel 1, #56 Patrolman W.P. Parker, “traffic on a 1956 Chevrolet.  I can’t see the license number.”  Dallas police radio channel 2, #5 Deputy Chief of Police George L. Lumpkin, “Notify Captain Souter of the location of the convoy now.”  Dispatcher:  15/2, now on Main, probably just past Lamar.  #1 Dallas Police Chief Curry, “Just crossing Market Street.”
12:30 p.m.
President Kennedy is shot and taken to Parkland Hospital in Dallas.
1:00 a.m.
President Kennedy is pronounced dead at Parkland Hospital.
2012.03.11 - 07:50.

September 24, 1964 The Warren Commission’s report is submitted to LBJ by Chief Justice Earl Warren
The lead story in The New York Times says that “the commission analyzed every issue in exhaustive, almost archeological detail.” A Times editorial says that “the facts--exhaustively gathered, independently checked and cogently set forth--destroy the basis for conspiracy theories that have grown wedlock in this country and abroad.”

Of the $1.2 million allocated to the investigation, $608,000 went to the cost of printing the report and the 1500 copies of its 26 volumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment